The Canal du Midi by bike - From Toulouse to Agde, Sète or Montpellier
Day 1: Visit Toulouse by bike or on foot
Arrival in Toulouse
Arrival at your charming B&B, ideally situated in Toulouse. Your hosts will welcome you into an authentic “Toulousaine” with garden, veranda and elegant salons. Your bike will be available from 19h00, should you fancy an evening ride. Living in Toulouse ourselves, we really want you to like the city as much as we do! You will find in your ‘roadbook’ suggestions of unmissable places to visit as well as a few spots off the beaten track. Night in Toulouse with dinner of your own choice.
Suggestion 1 – Toulouse
Tour of Toulouse by bike and supplementary nights possible (options)
Day 2: The canal du midi from Toulouse to Castelnaudary
Distance cycled: 60 km
After a good breakfast in the peaceful gardens, you set off for your first stretch of the canal: 50 km of tarmacked green lane, offering excellent cycling conditions. You can pause at seuil de Naurouze, watershed between the Atlantic and the Mediterranean, and an ideal spot for a break. Night in Castelnaudary, with dinner of your own choice. We will provide you with recommendations of the best places to discover the gastronomy of the city.
Suggestion 2 – Lauragais
Supplementary stage possible to allow this first leg to be divided into to 2 days of 30 km (options)
Day 3: The Canal du Midi by bike from Castelnaudary to Carcasonne
Distance cycled: 42 km
After Castelnaudary, the canal du midi becomes a little wilder… You can enjoy the peace of the surrounding landscape before arriving in the middle of the day in Carcassonne, with plenty of time to visit this splendid medieval city. Dinner of your own choice and night in a B&B with swimming pool, just outside the city.
Suggestion 3 – Carcassonne
Tour of the medieval city and supplementary nights possible (options)
Day 4: The Canal du Midi from Carcassonne to Homps
Distance cycled: 41 km
From now on you are pedalling between vineyards and villages typical of the south of France. In the small, historic port of Homps, you will be able to taste some of the best wines of the region. Homps is ideally situated between the terroirs of Minervois, to the north, and Corbieres to the south. Dinner of your own choice and night in a B&B with swimming pool in Homps or Olonzac.
Suggestion 4 – Minerve
Stage to Minerve with overnight in Le Somail – 36 km (options)
Day 5: The Canal du Midi from Homps to Capestang
Distance cycled: 43 km
After Homps, you will discover a series of engineering feats on the canal du midi. Man has had to show great ingenuity constructing the canal through this rugged stretch of terrain. Overnight in Caspestang, a pretty 14th century village. B&B with swimming pool, dinner of your own choice.
Day 6: The Canal du Midi from Capestang to Agde
Distance cycled: 50 km
Bit by bit, the scent of the sea gets closer on this last day … La pointe des Onglous, where the canal du midi joins the lagoon of the étang de Thau, is a magical place. Taking a moment to savour your arrival, you may well spot flamingos. This is also the moment to enjoy some oysters or mussels from nearby Bouzigues. Your trip finishes in the centre of Agde, where you drop off your bike with our partners, situated near the main train station.
Your trip finishes on arrival in Agde if you have chosen the 6 day / 5 night version, from Toulouse to Agde. Supplementary night in Agde is an option.
Day 7: The Canal du Midi from Agde to Sète
Distance cycled: 35 km
We strongly recommend that you continue your journey until arriving on the shores of the Mediterranean at Sète. You can then make the most of a highly enjoyable cycle path between the lagoon of the étang de Thau and the Mediterranean Sea. You could even take a break from cycling for a swim in the sea! On arrival in Sète, you can enjoy the comings and goings of the fishing boats in the historic port, which is unusually situated right in the town centre.
Your trip ends in Sète if you have chosen the 7 day / 6 night version, from Toulouse to Sète. Supplementary night in Sète is an option.
Day 8: The Canal du Midi from Sète to Montpellier
Distance cycled : 45 km
After Toulouse, we propose that you discover another large and beautiful city of the South of France : Montpellier ! From Sète, you continue along the canal du Rhône, through the heart of a nature reserve, before following a cycle path into the centre of Montpellier.
Distance cycled : 45 km
Your trip ends on arrival in Montpellier if you have chosen the 8 day / 7 night version, from Toulouse to Montpellier. Supplementary night in Montpellier is an option.
The names and photos of the accommodation are given for information purposes. According to availability, the B&Bs or hotels could be changed without warning and replaced by another establishment of the same category.
Dates & prices
- 5/6/7 nights in pretty B&Bs or hotels (2*) (3 nights with a swimming pool)
- Phone support 7/7
- Luggage transfers (1 bag per person)
- Free booking of the restaurants (if ask us)
- Taxes de séjour (local accommodation tax)
- Maps marked with the itinerary
- A detailed description of the itinerary
- Bike hire throughout the trip, including its return to the start (120€)
- The registration fee (15 € per person) - OFFERED if you pay by check or by bank transfer
- Travel between your home and the start and end of the holiday
- Lunches and dinners
- Spending on personal items such as souvenirs and drinks
- Travel insurance covering cancellation, illness and repatriation
- Generally all that is not mentioned in ‘Our Price Includes’.
- Bike hire : 120€ / personne
- Hire of an electric bike (ebike) : +15€ /per day to add to the above tariff
- Supplement "comfort" Upgrade to charming B&Bs and 3 stars hotels : 130€
- Single room supplement/ person alone / personne seule : 35€ per night
- Reduction for the third person in the room : -20% if > 12 ans. -30% if ≤ 12 ans
- You sleep in pretty Bed and Breakfasts, ideally situated for your overnight stays along the length of the canal.
- On arrival each day, the swimming pools will allow you to have a refreshing dip. Breakfast is included.
- On request, we can reserve dinner for you each night at our recommended restaurants
OUR B&B IN TOULOUSE
OUR B&B IN CARCASSONNE
OUR B&B IN HOMPS
OUR B&B IN CAPESTANG
A WORD FROM GUILHEM, LOCAL CYCLING GUIDE:
BIKES BY THE GERMAN BRAND BERGAMONT
- 2019 model perfectly adapted to the Canal du Midi
- A bike fitted to your size
- Front suspension
- Comfortable saddle
- Hydraulic brakes (no jamming of the brake pads in wet conditions)
- Adjustable handlebars (for maximum back comfort)
- Rear prop stand (useful with the back paniers loaded)
- Front and back lights
ALL EQUIPMENT IS INCLUDED
- Back paniers "Ortlieb"
- Front handlebar panier
- Front and back lights
- Bike lock
- Repair kit
- High visibility jacket
Electric bike an option (ebike)
HAIBIKE SDURO Trekking 3.0
- FRAME: aluminium 6061, Interface HD, blocage-rapide 5 x 135mm, frein à disque Post-Mount
- DRIVE UNIT: Bosch Performance CX, 250W, 75Nm, 25km/h